Thursday, June 8, 2023



 


Always see to the horses!  Nice and snugged away in my friendly (as in friend’s house in Kenora) B&B in a “strictly BMW garage”. 

So this is my notification that day one of my mini Odyssey was successful. 610 Kilometers from home to the border where I got my replacement windscreen and mirror and safety airbag vest, all needed due to my crash in the remote wilds of northwestern Ontario (if you didn’t read about that one, I think it’s on the June 1 or 2 updates). That experience was part of my “driving tough roads - a literal crash course”.

So I made it to Kenora where I met with a colleague who extremely graciously offered to put me up for the night — no tent required!

Today’ visit to Ryden’s, just across the border in Grand Portage Minnesota, where US packages can be picked up (and sent) was highlighted by the aforementioned resurrection of Bellicose Babe:

The trip included a bit of nearly everything: Sun, warmth, coolth, wind, some rain. But was overall a beautiful day for driving. 

Of course I ran out of gas because I “thought” I could make it to the gas station

Fortunately I had a backup plan: the fuel left over from my “Black Sturgeon Experience”

Funny, All streams flow north from this point on (the Atlantic / Arctic watershed) and me too!

Although I didn’t take a photograph, I encountered what appeared to be an accident near Dryden, where they were about 15 motorcycles on the side of the road. One of the riders appeared to be on the stretcher to be lifted into the ambulance that was there. It was a grim reminder that when things go bad on a motorcycle, they can go really bad. 

When riding many hours on a motorcycle, you have a lot of opportunity for exploring your thoughts. Just prior to encountering this crash, I was thinking about all the people I bring with me wherever I go, those who have passed on and exist only in memories now. 

My good friend Ludolph, who died in 1994. My father died the same year. A very old friend from high school, Greg, who I recently heard died several decades ago. Work colleagues: Tom, Mike, Peter, Jim. Sherry. My cousin, Andreas. All departed before their time. Perhaps I can honor them a little bit by remembering them. You have lots of time to think, riding for hours on a motorcycle.

There is a lot of exposed granite on the Trans-Canada Highway 11/17 between Thunder Bay and Kenora:


I’m about to leave Ontario. Tomorrow’s Goal: Brandon, Manitoba  


1 comment:

  1. Sounded like a good day of travelling, contemplating life and keeping BB in good form. As noted, the downed rider is a reminder of the risks that come with riding. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

The Travel Bug

I started writing this entry on September 16, having just begun a five week trip with my wife to Portugal and Germany. This account has been...