Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Getting Ready for Adventure (and figuring out about posts on this blog)!

Please note: I’m updating this blog semi-regularly: to see all posts in this blog, you need to go to the bottom, after any comments, and click “home”. The arrows should take you to older and newer pages. This is the first page, first published May 31, 2023. Another way to navigate this is to click on the “Blog Archive” tab on the side (depending what browser you’re reading this in). You are at the first entry and many more follow. (For some reason the “home” button at the top of the page header doesn’t take me to the listing of all entries but maybe it works for you?) It’s best to start with the earliest entries so you read in order of adventures and don’t ruin the surprise. I’ve been advised that the challenges in navigating the chapters in this blog aren’t a “bug” but rather a “feature”. You’ll figure it out!

Why write a blog? So many people have done blogs before and I've only paid attention to a few of them. I'll probably make mistakes along the way here, but if I get to describe my adventures and show some photos, I'll be happy. As will my lovely wife! (Proof of life, anyone?). If you stick with this, you’ll share parts of my adventure of the period after retirement,

Three weeks ago, I retired after a few decades in public service (although I keep calling it semi-retirement) and I have a few ideas regarding some next steps. Most of my plans are not solo pursuits but some are, in addition to my own need to be on my own, I’m planning to travel with my wife), and complete projects around the house, and even gardening!, and sailing, and so on; some plans will actually involve work, (hello semi-retirement) others don't need to be shared, but I'll try to write and photograph at least one of my solo adventures and we'll see how it goes from this humble beginning.

Nearly 30 years ago, as I was preparing to transition from "learning" to "working" status, I had a tough year. Part of what helped me get through that year, 1995, was planning and then going for a motorcycle adventure. At that time, I had resolved to travel from Thunder Bay, Canada (where I live) to Germany, and purchase a BMW motorcycle, and travel around the continent. I had one month and a few old friends to catch up with, so I focused on Germany, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Switzerland. I'd bring the bike home with me afterwards (I was not yet married so no real need for negotiations). That trip covered 7,000 km and was just what I needed at the time. I loved the trip and made plans for more trips: very few have happened. 

So here I am at the other end of my professional career or at least a significant juncture, and it's been another tough year, and I have a new idea for a trip that I've been thinking about for a few years:

Thunder Bay to Tuktoyuktuk (on the Arctic Ocean). I know I'm not the first one to have made this trip, but it will be MY first trip in several years. And my longest, so far, if I make it (more on that later).

I own two bikes: Rocinante, the red 1989 BMW K75RT bought in Germany in 1996, and Bouncing Betty Blue, a 2007 BMW F650GS Dakar bought at a pawn shop in Thunder Bay in 2020 (as a non-runner, for $2,200.00). 


 

I'll let you guess which of these will be my steed for this adventure! The trip: 11,000 kilometers (7,000 miles) across Canada, through northwestern Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, then north through Alberta with a corner of British Columbia, Yukon, and the Northwest Territories, where you can drive along a very long gravel road from Dawson City, through Inuvik, and on to the Arctic Ocean.

The month: June, 2023

In order to prepare, I've given the Betty Blue a thorough going-over. All fluids changed, repaired the water pump, new chain and sprockets installed, repaired the broken pieces of critical protection, replaced the rear brake rotor and pads, got a new battery of course, ordered two new sets of tires (one pair, the knobbies, will be sent to the Yukon to be changed before that final challenge of 1,000 km of gravel roads -- the Dempster Highway. The other pair, more suited to paved roads, will get me there - I hope!).

Today was spent trying to work out a problem with a sticking rear brake. I initially thought it was the caliper and that was indeed sticking. But the brake was dragging intermittently throughout the rotation so I diagnosed a warped rotor (disk). In addition, the master cylinder wasn't returning properly. So I rebuilt the caliper and the master cylinder, and replaced the parts needed, and somehow magically, the tire is spinning when the brakes are off, and stops when I hit the pedal. Success, and learned more about the inner workings of hydraulic brakes.

Rebuilding the water pump / oil pump (a known weak spot on these bikes) was a project of last summer, which I was better prepared for than perhaps expected, as I’d done a similar job on my other bike a few years earlier.

I have a packing list that I may share at some point. Tools for unexpected (expected) issues. I've got a bunch of safety gear as well. Food, camping gear, warm clothing. . . . More on that later.

And of course, I have an itinerary, as follows:

TBay to Tuk Stops

Start @ home- Shuniah ON June 3

1 Kenora ON 513 km

2 Brandon MB 433 km (946)

3 Saskatoon SK 623 km (1,569)

4 Edmonton AB 523 km (2,092)

5 Grande Prarie AB 458 km (2,540)

6 Fort Nelson BC 584 km (3,124)

7 Watson Lake YT 513 km (3,637)

8 Whitehorse YT 437 km (4,074)

9 Dawson City YT 533 km (4,607)

10 Eagle Plains YT 409 (5,016)

11 Inuvik NT 366 (5,382)

12 Tuktoyukyuk NT 153 (5,545)

 


 

And back! WWish me luck!


Next: my "trial run". This might be a very short blog. Maybe I'll give some insights on packing for this trip.

23 comments:

  1. Happy trails and safe travels! Looking forward to following your big adventure! šŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a long way to go, but I'm confident you can pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this journey with us Michael even before the actual journey begins. I'll be living a bit vicariously through this with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. be safe and send lots of pictures! And watch out for those crazy ice road truckers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a safe trip looking forward to viewing your journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Travel safely! Stop into Vancouver if you have time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to follow this journey. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe travels on your blue Rocinante. Adventure is a healthy reaction to a mad world. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Watch out for polar bears

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Michael. That’s a cool adventure. I’m so happy for you! Enjoy every minute and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you!

    That was my father-in-law who shared this blog with you (my own dad might be cheering me on from the afterlife.)

    Jim is enthusiastic about this trip but I don’t think he’s interested in actually riding a motorcycle 11,000 km either.

    Although, I’m obviously not the first person to take this trip, I don’t know a lot of people who have the time, expertise, and interest, not to mention extra blood to feed the swarms of mosquitoes. I’ve been told to expect.

    Thanks for reading. Check the updates on the blog, I’ll try to post some thing on a semi-regular basis, and posted an update from yesterday’s trip to Black Sturgeon Lake this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Take care Micheal looking forward to hearing and seeing photos of your trip be safe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet ride!! We'll put the coffee on for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Dad cheering you on from the afterlife for sure. And I from here and now in every way! With love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your not so anonymous Mom, in the note above.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Avoid wildfires too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you sunny skies all the way to your goal

    ReplyDelete
  18. What’s the timeline for the Alberta leg? If the timing works I’ll try to meet for the Edmonton/Grand Prairie portion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At present, I expect to arrive in Edmonton on Saturday evening June 10. So my ride from Edmonton to Grand Prairie would be Sunday. However, I could be delayed if there’s horrible rain in between and read me and then!.
      I may decide to press on through the rain to get there on Friday night. (But Saturday is still more likely)
      I will continue to publish updates along with my expected ETA in Edmonton. I haven’t figured out yet where I’m gonna stay in Edmonton.
      That being said, I’m not sure who this is?

      Delete
  19. We will enjoy following your adventure! All the best!
    Kelly and John

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Micheal. Looking forward to the updates. Ride safe. If time permits and you are on your way back, I have to bring a bike to Winnipeg for a a recall towards the end of August. It would be fun to connect somewhere along the way.
    I have to use the Anonymous feature on this and I can’t figure out how to use my name. I’m not too tecky. Lol.
    Anyway keep the rubber down!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Michael. Greetings from New Zealand. It looks like fantastic trip and I wish I could’ve joined you. Ride safe and looking forward to reading all about it. All the best, Andy Price.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy belated bday. Sending your annual note shortly. Where are you? Where are the updates?

    ReplyDelete

The Travel Bug

I started writing this entry on September 16, having just begun a five week trip with my wife to Portugal and Germany. This account has been...