Thursday, June 1, 2023

The "Dry Run"

 One thing that worries me a bit about this trip: I've not done much motorbike riding on gravel. I have loads of mostly nice weather pavement time, which will also hopefully comprise the first 4,000 km of this trip.

However, I've done some research. The Dempster Highway can be challenging. This trip will require a LOT of gravel riding.

So I'm looking to do an overnight. It's about 180 km of pavement, followed by about 200 km of gravel. There is a camping spot at the top of Black Sturgeon Lake where I've previously driven. We will see how that goes on two wheels.

I've packed pretty much all that I'll be bringing on the big trip (not quite all my clothes or food, but enough to get a taste of what I'll be facing).

Here's what I'll be bringing:



Packing List

Clothing:
Socks 7 
Underwear 7
T shirts 3
Nice shirt 1
Long sleeve sun shirt 1
Long pants 3
Shorts 2
Bathing suit
Bug jacket
Extra fleece
Long underwear
Rain jacket
Toque 
Sun hat
Sun glasses
Light shoes
Flip flops for showers 

Personal:
Tooth brush w/ toothpaste
Soap
Shampoo
Razor
Laundry strips
Towel
First aid kit
Prescription medications

Camping:
Tent
Tarp
Sleeping bag
Air mattress 
Hammock
Folding chair
Insect repellent 
Bear spray

Cooking:
Stove
Fuel 
Two pots
One pan
Wooden spoon
Spatula
Fork, knife, spoon
Mug
Plate
Water bottle

Food:
(Replenish en route)
Coffee
Dried milk
Oatmeal
Crackers
Cheese
Salami
Dried soups 
Freeze dried dinner
Fruit
Nuts
Granola bars juice boxes

Electronics:
Phone
Charger
Extra power supply
Extra cord for phone 
Satellite communicator
Cord for same
And for pump
And for jacket
And for watch
Headlamp

Motorbike stuff:
Compressor
Tire irons/spoons
Inner tubes
Wrench set for routine maintenance
Gloves nitrile - 20
Work gloves
Duct tape
Rotopax fuel tank




I'll update after I get back, with more photos, including the bike, loaded up. Who knows? After all my big talk, I may decide to do something totally different!

I plan to depart on Monday, June 4, 27 years to the day after I left for my trip in Germany, where I got Rocinante. 

My son approved of my name for Rocinante but he wasn't so sure about Betty Blue, the bouncing thumper. He was looking for something slightly more literary.

I'll see if something better suggests itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Travel Bug

I started writing this entry on September 16, having just begun a five week trip with my wife to Portugal and Germany. This account has been...