Thursday, July 27, 2023

Biking

I’m wondering why I didn’t put these in the usual tri- order: swim, bike, run. 

The triathlon is done in that order because they want to start with the sport most likely to result in you dying and get that out of the way. So: swim first. Then bike, where you could crash and break your neck, and running comes last because probably the worst that will happen is you walk. Or fall down on your face. That’s my theory anyway.


Biking is yet another interest in my too long list of hobbies. Only as I’m writing these things down is it finally becoming clear to me that perhaps I’m scattered, lack focus, really should commit myself to a singular pursuit. That helps explain my singular lack of success in life, maybe?

Bicycle racing isn’t something I’ve ever done or considered — usually by the 50 k mark I’ve become too sore to continue. There’s one little muscle somewhat medial and proximal to the knee that starts to tell me I’ve underprepared for this.

Riding a bicycle seems to be one of the things that are like, well, riding a bicycle, once learned, never forgotten.  Also, it’s the second segment of the iron man, the triathlon, or even the short course that I favour.  

An Iron Man consists of a 2 1/2 or thereabouts mile swim followed by 100 and some mile bike ride, capped off by 26 mile run (a marathon).  Nope, nope, nope.  Zero for three, for me.  I’m impressed that anyone can do the course!!  

Back to biking: it’s not my favourite part of a triathlon, but actually, I appreciate / endure each part reasonably equally.  I do like to bike and as I believe I’ve noted elsewhere in this account, I’ve got plans for a ride on Monday, July 31. Mountain bike trail. With my son.  Wish me luck!

For the moment, I’m at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, at the EAA air show  possibly I’ll write about this some other time.  I’ve got lots of photos. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Travel Bug

I started writing this entry on September 16, having just begun a five week trip with my wife to Portugal and Germany. This account has been...